Re: 3 button mouse emulation

Subject: Re: 3 button mouse emulation
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 15:34:55 MDT

> I've been watching posts on this for many weeks now. They come regularly,
> and never with any resolution. I, too, would *really* like to get emulation
> working, because I refuse to spend $50 on a mouse when I had three-button
> emulation working just fine in CS1.0.
>
> Is there an official response from YDL about this? I'm a little irritated
> that a feature appears to have been removed from YDL without any public
> acknowledgement. Especially given that every Mac comes with a one-button
> mouse. This seems like a pretty important UI issue.

Essentially, here is what happened.. the previous CS releases shipped with
older kernels. (CS1.1 shipped with 2.2.6) They used UUSBD for USB support.
UUSBD setup the emulation of USB mice to two keys on the keyboard.
Now that we are using the Linux kernel's own implimentation of USB
support, the ability to emulate mouse buttons was lost. It is still
possible from the X server too.

The following URL has been postedo n this list before:
http://people.a2000.nl/omoerbe/

Scroll down to: "How to map Mac keyboard keys to mouse buttons"
And read the text. It explains in detail why mouse emulation worked
before, and how you can still use it on your system.

We don't just remove features for no good reason.

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations, Parallel, and Embedded Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/