Re: problem w/ boot configuration on G4

Subject: Re: problem w/ boot configuration on G4
From: david bonde (i97_bed@i.kth.se)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 18:31:14 MDT

At 20.08 +0200 00-06-02, Patrick Proniewski wrote/00-06-02, 20.08
+0200 skrev Patrick Proniewski:

>I've installed the YDlinux on a slave HD on my AGP G4, and I can't get nor
>BootX nor Yaboot working. And in fact I'm not sure to really understand the
>configuration of the yaboot.conf file.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated, especialy a detailed explanation of
>yaboot.conf. Or better, a way to use BootX on G4

You have to use yaboot. Install the following files on the root level
of any partition:

vmlinux
yaboot.conf
yaboot.tbxi

In my case they are on the 9th partition. To boot, do like this:

restart and press opt-cmd-o-f until the OF-prompt appears

type
-----
setenv boot-device hd:9,\yaboot.tbxi <enter>
boot <enter>
-----

my conf-file look like this:

default = linux
image = hd:9,\vmlinux
label = linux
root = /dev/hda15
novideo

15 is the partition I installed linux on

type
-----
linux <enter>
-----

the same string as you write in the label-row in the conf-file

To boot MacOS again you need to reset PRAM - i.e. restart and push cmd-opt-p-r

If you manage to create a dual-boot script, please let me know.