Re: problem w/ boot configuration on G4

Subject: Re: problem w/ boot configuration on G4
From: Michael Long (protean1358@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 19:31:09 MDT

Patrick Proniewski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the YDlinux on a slave HD on my AGP G4, and I can't get nor
> BootX nor Yaboot working. And in fact I'm not sure to really understand the
> configuration of the yaboot.conf file.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, especialy a detailed explanation of
> yaboot.conf. Or better, a way to use BootX on G4
>
> tia
>
> Pat
>
> --
> "Rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée, tout s'empile"
> - Mon Bureau -

Hi,
    You can't use Boot X on your G4, use yaboot. When you get your
yaboot.conf file on your hard-disk folder (not any other inside the MacHD
folder on your desktop) and your bootinfo.txt script next to it, and
yaboot.tbxi boot-device, restart and Hold down [control] [option] [O] [F]
simultneously. At the white screen type this: boot hd:9,\yaboot.tbxi
Your yaboot.conf simple text document should say:

init-message="\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"

timeout=5
default=linux

image=hd:9,\vmlinux
label=linux
root=/dev/hdb9
novideo

My bootinfo.txt:
<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
iMac,1 PowerMac1,1PowerBook1,1 PowerMac2,1 PowerMac3,1 PowerBook2, 1
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
YELLOW DOG LINUX BOOTLOADER
</DESCRPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
"keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup20dump
5 + c@08=if
"Booting Yellow Dog Linux..."cr"boot hd:9,\\yaboot_0.5"eval
then
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
</CHRP-BOOT>
I think this or somthing similar is in the YDL manual. I may have had to
delete the "keyboard" argument, because of a default sysmap thing, but I don't
specifically recall.

The 9 in hdb9 is the partition number of my linux root partition, second
hard-drive.
The 9 in hd:9 is the partition where mac os is on the first drive (most macs
are here).
novideo is so your X will work properly, until you upgrade to Xpmac.special.
When you do install Xpmac.special (on your linux system)
change novideo to : append="video=aty128fb:vmode17,cmode:24" (this is my
monitor settings, you may need to modify this)
  Also update to the latest kernel from http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/
and install it next to the rest of the files directly on your MacHD folder.
If you don't already have macgzip for your mac downlaod it for free, I found
the macgzip website by doing a sherlock search. If you can't get a copy of
Xpmac.special.gz, write back to the list and someone can send you a copy and
instructions for installing .
I have the same box as you, but I went out and snagged a (3) button mouse.