iMac DV - can't install

Subject: iMac DV - can't install
From: Yasir (yasirh@bigpond.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 05:59:17 MDT

I'd really appreciate some help with this installation problem.

I bought YDL CS 1.2 and I tried to install it on an iMac DV.

I have MacOS 9.0.3 and 128 RAM.

I followed the instructions in the YDL guide. Namely, I booted up on the
MacOS installation CD and ran Drive Setup. I then created 1 partition of 650
MB and left the rest of my drive unallocated. I formatted the 650 MB drive
using the MacOS Standard (I assume this is HFS and not HFS+).

I then installed MacOS 9.0.3 on that partition and rebooted. Upon the
reboot, I installed the BootX Extension (v 1.2) in the Extensions folder,
the BootX App (1.2) in the Control Panels folder and the files
ramdisk.image.gz and vmlinux in the system folder.

I then ran the BootX control panel and chose Linux. The machine looked as
though it closed down. But after a few seconds I noticed that the DVD drive
was still spinning and that the green light just next to the right speaker
was still lit.

I tried rebooting several times, each time selecting different options in
the BootX dialog box, but I never managed to boot successfully.

I read somewhere on the net that for iMac DVs running on MacOS 9.0.4 (I have
9.0.3) or greater I would have to use yaboot rather than BootX. Is this
true? And if so, are there instructions for how to use this in conjunciton
with YDL CS 1.2?

Thanks in advance.

Yasir