serial port woes

Subject: serial port woes
From: Matt Wingate (mbw70@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 21:54:02 MDT

Hi folks.

I'm having trouble getting my PowerMac to talk
to my printer and modem using CS 1.2. (Actually
I'm in hotter water at the moment...)

1) /dev/ttyS0 is the modem and /dev/ttyS1 the printer.
Using the linux modemtool test function, the modem
failed to be initialized, and when I sent a simple
ascii file to the printer it printed out a line of
garbage.

2) I read what I think are the relevent parts of
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO, Modem-HOWTO, and
Serial-HOWTO, and decided that things are not being
configured properly. E.g. I can't find where
setserial is being run during the boot. (setserial
v1.5 is on the release of CS 1.2 I believe)

3) I copied /usr/doc/setserial-1.5/rc.serial
to /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial and ran
chkconfig --add serial
-- still no help.

4) Saw that /etc/serial.conf was created, only with
one line: ###AUTO-SAVE###

5) Read /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial, saw that it wasn't
running a command suggested somewhere in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO, namely
setserial /dev/ttyS1 auto-icq skip-test auto-config
[I forget if it's - or _ in the args...]
I ran this on the command line and hung up the
system.

6) After reboot, I edited /etc/serial.conf by hand,
removing the auto-save line and adding
/dev/ttyS1 auto-icq skip-test auto-config
/dev/ttyS0 auto-icq skip-test auto-config

7) Rebooted. System hangs, saying something about
can't autoconfigure the device.

Now, at this point my main question is,
am I even close to being on the right track toward
getting my printer and modem working?

If anyone can answer that, maybe they can also tell
me how to get back into my linux partition. The
reboot sequence claims that I can hit 'I' to boot
interactively, yet it ignores that. I put the
tasty morsels CD in the drive, held down 'c' and
yet couldn't avoid booting from the hard drive
(once it passed BootX). How can I get back in there
to delete my stupid (obviously flawed)
/etc/serial.conf?

Many thanks in advance for bailing me out.

        Matt