Re: Switching from Intel to G4 - Questions.

Subject: Re: Switching from Intel to G4 - Questions.
From: Robert Fout (rfout@damien.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:47:51 MDT

Sorry that I can't help with your first two questions, but the 2nd two I can
help with. The G4 comes standard with the same shaped keyboard and mouse
that come with the iMacs, but they are graphite in color. I'd highly
recommend buying a full-size keyboard, and a 3 button USB mouse if you plan
to use Linux even a little bit, it is soooo much better.

As for bogomips, they are just that, "bogus MIPS". I wouldn't put much faith
in them. Just cause we're on the subject, my G3/400 has just less than 400
bogomips (like 398.xx). I'd assume a G4/400 and faster would have higher
bogomips.

When looking at comparing intel, AMD, and PPC chips, compare the floating
point and integer performance, as well as how much L1 is on-chip, and how
much L2 cache the computer has or can have. The size of the chip also
matters. In this case, the bigger chips need more space for cooling (the x86
chips), and that impacts noise and power consumption.

Bob
"The knack to flying is learning how to
throw yourself at the ground and miss."

From "Life the Universe and Everything"
by Douglas Adams

Robert Fout
MacOS Guru and MkLinux/Yellowdog Linux User
rfout@damien.edu
http://osx.damien.edu/rfout/
ICQ# 48433406