Re: Switching from Intel to G4 - Questions.

Subject: Re: Switching from Intel to G4 - Questions.
From: Michael Long (protean1358@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 22:10:18 MDT

on 6/7/00 4:47 PM, Robert Fout at rfout@damien.edu wrote:

> Sorry that I can't help with your first two questions, but the 2nd two I can
> help with. The G4 comes standard with the same shaped keyboard and mouse
> that come with the iMacs, but they are graphite in color. I'd highly
> recommend buying a full-size keyboard, and a 3 button USB mouse if you plan
> to use Linux even a little bit, it is soooo much better.
>
> As for bogomips, they are just that, "bogus MIPS". I wouldn't put much faith
> in them. Just cause we're on the subject, my G3/400 has just less than 400
> bogomips (like 398.xx). I'd assume a G4/400 and faster would have higher
> bogomips.
>
> When looking at comparing intel, AMD, and PPC chips, compare the floating
> point and integer performance, as well as how much L1 is on-chip, and how
> much L2 cache the computer has or can have. The size of the chip also
> matters. In this case, the bigger chips need more space for cooling (the x86
> chips), and that impacts noise and power consumption.
>

> Bob
> ---------------------------------------
> "The knack to flying is learning how to
> throw yourself at the ground and miss."
>
>> From "Life the Universe and Everything"
> by Douglas Adams
>
> Robert Fout
> MacOS Guru and MkLinux/Yellowdog Linux User
> rfout@damien.edu
> http://osx.damien.edu/rfout/
> ICQ# 48433406
>
>> From: Claas Langbehn <claas@bigfoot.com>
>> Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 00:29:50 +0200 (CEST)
>> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
>> Subject: Switching from Intel to G4 - Questions.
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am going to buy a new computer and I am thinking of an G4-400. But there
>> are still some questions. Now I am using Mandrake 7 on an Intel Computer.
>> I have got an PCI-TV-Tuner card that is supported by the video4linux
>> driver. Does anybody know if it will run in an G4, too? Or is it not that
>> easy?
>>
>> And I still have got an HP LaserJet 5L (parallel). What would be the best
>> solution to keep that printer ? An USB to Parallel adapter cable or an
>> ethernet print-server? Or are there other possibilities?
>>
>> I did not find any photos of the G4 keyboard and mouse. Is the G4 using
>> the same as the I-Mac ?
>>
>> How much Bogo-Mips does an G4-400/450/500 have ?
>>
>> Where do I find up to date comparison charts between the Intel, AMD and G4
>> cpu's ?
>>

>> Yours sincerely,
>> Claas

Hi,
    my G4 400 has 796.26 BogoMips. About your printer and TV card, I would
be surprised if Linux PPC supported them yet. If you do get a G4 and use
Linux, keep in mind that x86 and PPC architectures vary, and so do the Linux
kernels taht run them. I would get the G4 if I were you though, for 2
main reasons: 1. Mac OS is so easy to use my Grandma can blaze on it; 2.
the hardware kicks intel's, AMD's, and any other PC's ASS. THe support
issue for Linux PPC put me off at first, but I think we'll see this improve
exponentially from here on out. Linux flys on the G4.

                Sincerely,
                        Mike