Re: Switching from Intel to G4 - Questions.

Subject: Re: Switching from Intel to G4 - Questions.
From: Christopher Murtagh (chris@music.mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 01:42:55 MDT

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Claas Langbehn wrote:
>I am going to buy a new computer and I am thinking of an G4-400. But there
>are still some questions. Now I am using Mandrake 7 on an Intel Computer.

 Try this out... I have Mandrake running on a G4/350 (sawtooth) with
Virtual PC. I had planned on trying it, but your email imspired me to try
it right away. As it turns out, it was easier to install Mandrake on my G4
than it was on my PIII-550! XFree86 doesn't support the ATI Rage 128 Pro
(which is what my PIII has), but even though this is the hardware in my G4
as well, it is emulating an S3 Trio. Pretty nifty, I must admit that X is
not so speedy, but at least it works. :-)

 After I installed it, I ssh'ed from Virtual PC into my G4 running YDL at
work to reply to this email. Proof is here:

http://blues.wcg.mcgill.ca/~chris/Mandrake/

>I have got an PCI-TV-Tuner card that is supported by the video4linux
>driver. Does anybody know if it will run in an G4, too? Or is it not that
>easy?

 Hrm, I wouldn't count on it (I would assume not likely).

>And I still have got an HP LaserJet 5L (parallel). What would be the
>best solution to keep that printer ? An USB to Parallel adapter cable or
>an ethernet print-server? Or are there other possibilities?

 Can you get an ethernet adapter for that printer? If it isn't too
expensive, that is the option I would go for. Makes networking it easier.

>I did not find any photos of the G4 keyboard and mouse. Is the G4 using
>the same as the I-Mac ?

 Yes, the G4 uses the same crummy keyboard as the iMac (same mouse too).
For me the mouse isn't the issue, I only use it to wake up the machine
from energy saving mode, the keyboard though, I could't work with it. I
bought a Nuform (sp?) 'natural' keyboard and I really love it.

>Where do I find up to date comparison charts between the Intel, AMD and
>G4 cpu's ?

 I remember seeing some interesting info on IBM's site somewhere. Try
starting at http://chips.ibm.com

Cheers,

Chris