Video Problems (powerbook 3400c and beige G3)

Subject: Video Problems (powerbook 3400c and beige G3)
From: Christopher Legel (clegel@eiccd.cc.ia.us)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 07:48:59 MDT

Hi

        Two questions. I am trying to install YD on a Powerbook 3400c, but when I
try to start X it doesn't like the LCD. So it dumps me back at the root.
 I went into Xconfigurator and tried to use a generic apple monitor
setting, the Powerbook G3 setting, and I even tried setting it manually,
 with no success.

        My second question is along similar lines. I've installed YD on a beige
G3 using a Viewsonic GS771. Ran through the install, Xconfigurator
detected the video, and I found the GS771 on the monitor list. Great. But
when I start X, it only lets me run at 16k color. When I try to run at 24,
even at 640x480, I get the whole desktop in the bottom 2/3 of the screen,
but the top third is divided into 4 smaller copies of the main desktop.
 When I move the mouse it ghosts on all 5 desktops. I should also note
that when I run the Mac OS with this config, it supports millions of
colors.

        Any suggestions?