Sendmail/procmail flakiness

Subject: Sendmail/procmail flakiness
From: Kevin M. Myer (kevin_myer@iu13.k12.pa.us)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 10:30:36 MDT

Hello,

I have been running CS 1.2 on my 8500/180 since mid March, with very few
problems (other than I'm out of disk space). This machine is my
workstation and as such, I have sendmail configured on it for receiving
and sending mail to our mail server. I also have some procmail rules
configured for various mailing lists I'm on to split the mail into
folders. The problem is (and I'm not sure which one is
barfing) sendmail/procmail keep dying while trying to deliver mail. I
noticed this first when one of my backup reports failed to show up the
next morning. I checked the mail queue and lo and behold, there were
about a hundred messages in there. I flushed the queue but sendmail kept
crashing, sometimes with "Segmentation fault", or "Trace/breakpoint
trap" or "Illegal instruction". Sometimes, it would process mail fine for
awhile and then die. Other times, it would die immediately. I ran strace
on sendmail and I could find absolutely no pattern to the crashing.

Has anyone experienced oddities with sendmail on the PPC platform? I do
have a custom sendmail.mc file but that shouldn't matter. I'd suspect
memory or something like that but I can compile things for hours without a
hiccup and nothing else is flaky other than the normal flaky components
(Netscape). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

--