Re: G4/450 AGP (sawtooth newgen) Mac OS 9.0.4

Subject: Re: G4/450 AGP (sawtooth newgen) Mac OS 9.0.4
From: David Haines (djhain@music.umass.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 21:21:16 MDT

I had pretty much the same experience. Make sure that you've got the
yaboot.tbxi file and yaboot.conf file on/at the top level of your drive. I'm
not sure, but I think need to have the vmlinux file there as well(vs. in the
"Linux Kernels" folder in the System Folder, as req'd for BootX).
    You can actually rename "yaboot.tbxi" to "yaboot" and then you only need
to type "boot hd:8,yaboot" (in your case) - works for me, and is just a
little less of a hassle.
    Now (!) when you get into linux, you might be unhappy with the graphics,
I was. Try this for your "yaboot.conf" file, NB the last line :

timeout = 5
default = linux

image = hd:8,\vmlinux
label = linux
root = /dev/hda10
append="video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"

 I had a problem if the "label" and "root" lines were indented, couldn't
boot successfully.

    Make the above change & then boot into linux, run Xconfigurator and when
that's finished, type "startx" in a terminal window and enjoy (!)