Re: Performa 6400/180 second drive

Subject: Re: Performa 6400/180 second drive
schinder@pobox.com
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 16:13:26 MDT

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 01:56:12PM -0800, William R Simpson wrote:
} I have an old Performa 6400/180 and want to put YDL onto it. I have two
} questions:
}
} 1) It appears that a performa 6400 is the same as a powermac 6400, which
} is supported. The YDL web site doesn't list the performa 6400 at all, so
} I wanted to confirm that it will work on my machine. Possibly you would
} like to add the Performa 6400 to the list of functional machines.

Yes. I'm running CS 1.2 on a Performa 6400 at this very moment.

}
} 2) I want to use a second hard drive and it seems that I may have two
}
} o The computer has an IDE (ATA) hard drive in it, and I guess I could add
} a second ATA drive to this cable.

No, you can't. The controller in a 6400 only supports one drive. You can
replace the current drive, but you can't put another one in.

}
} o The apple web site tells me that I can add a SCSI hard drive to the
} system (it is pre-cabled for an additional SCSI device).

Yes, in the top bay. The small bezel on top covers the bay. It's
straightforward to put a drive in, although getting the covers off
(you need to remove both upper and lower covers) takes some prying.
The mount was easily available a couple of years ago when I added my
4Gb SCSI drive in the top bay. There's a Web site with detailed
instructions, but I don't remember the URL, so you'll have to search
for it.

}
} Would you recommend either option? Will either be faster, better,
} cheaper?

You have no choice if you want to keep your current drive. The choice
you have is between an external and internal SCSI drive. In addition
to the 4Gb drive in the top bay, I also just added an 18Gb drive to my
external chain (which also has a Zip and a CD-RW on it). There's only
one SCSI chain on a 6400 (so the internal CD-ROM and SCSI drive are on
the same chain), so your choice is basically whether the ease of
adding an external drive is worth the extra money you'll pay for the
box it comes in.

In general SCSI is better, IDE is cheaper.

}
} Thanks for the information and I look forward to using YDL.
}
} Bill
}

--