Circus, between KDE and Gnome and YDL in general

Subject: Circus, between KDE and Gnome and YDL in general
From: David Haines (djhain@music.umass.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 12:53:17 MDT

    Is YDL Champion Server supposed to work with the G4, by default ? It
really doesn't. I've successfully installed it (following the directions to
the letter), and it boots fine, but in the file-navigator in KDE, my "core"
file has a bomb symbol, in Gnome it shows up with a frowning-face icon. What
happened, I don't know. How do I fix this one ?
    Sound works in Gnome, but not much else: many items that show up in the
Gnome menu, _don't_ launch when selected, nothing happens at all. Plus, I
keep getting a message (when starting Gnome), "can't find host OIT, adding
it to the hosts file should help" or words to that effect. Plus business
about Gnome not working properly because of this. What ? The information
Gnome is looking at, was set up within KDE, where I can successfully connect
via PPP & modem dialup to my Internet server.
    KDE: no sound except for the simple machinistic backspace/del "beep."
When I try to test (yes, after selecting the "Enable" check-box) system
(event) sounds, all I get is white noise. I read the KDE help info, not much
help there.
    Trying to read the Gnome help, there's no index (!).
    Video works, passably, but only after getting lots of help from others,
and wasting an incredible amount of time...
    What a mess.
    Yes, yes, I know: RTFM. Well, the vast majority of linux for PPC sites
are for LinuxPPC, or a PC-based distribution. Even Yellow Dog's web-pages
link to help-sites that are specifically about LinuxPPC. Most times, the
info supplied just doesn't _quite_ apply for/to YDL.