Re: slow connection

Subject: Re: slow connection
From: John L Grantham (john@grantham.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 13:57:36 MDT

At 2:03 pm -0400 11/6/00, Funkaster wrote:
>I've succesfully partitionated & installed CS 1.2. I configured the ppp
>connection with Dialup Configuration Tool (or something like that). The
>problem is that the connection (started with RH PPP Dialer) is so slow
>that i can hardly browse web pages and the same happens with any kind of
>inet services (mail, icq, hotline, etc).
>I know it's not a problem with my line, becouse on the mac side i reach
>up to 6k/sec (i only have a modem... but will have DSL soon)...
>Any idea what the problem could be?

Most likely an incorrect initialization string for your modem. Try
checking the manual for your modem to get the correct one. You can
also try opening the modem script for your modem in Mac OS with a
text program like BBEdit to get the correct string.

The basic string is usually ATZ or AT&F or AT&F1 (depends on the
modem). Try those -- they normally turn on auto-negotiation as the
default setting. kppp also has an auto-config feature that can ask
your modem for its available settings.

HTH

John

--