Ethernet BMAC on B&W Mac G3 & Dual booting

Subject: Ethernet BMAC on B&W Mac G3 & Dual booting
From: Jim (jim@voicedoctor.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 11:17:01 MDT

I just purchased the preinstalled version of YDL for the mac. It is
installed in Disk position 3 and my other drive is a wide ultra2 SCSI in
Drive position 1.

Issue #1

It is a dual bootable system only in the sense the IDE drive is in Linux
boots, if the IDE drive is unplugged, the Mac OS boots. It seems that the
IDE drive is preemptive. What I read about BootX is that it is installed on
the SCSI drive, so it does not boot first unless the IDE drive is unplugged.
Yaboot starts up at boot on the IDE drive, but it seems from what I read,
that to work, it would have to be installed on the SCSI drive.

Any thoughts?

Issue #2

I cannot get TCP/IP to run to access the internet.

On dmesg | more I get the following

eth0: BMAC+ at 00:05:02:09:66:95

On ifconfig eth0 I get

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:05:02:09:66:95
            BROADCAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
            Rx packets:2 errors:1 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:1
            Tx packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
            collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
            Interrupt:42 Base address:0x1000

So, it seems that there is an error in receive?
I looked at previous mailing lists and Dan Burcaw suggested
"You'll need to rebuild the kernel with 'bmac.patch' applied. This is
available at http://www.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/bmac.patch. "
But that page no longer exists.

Any suggestions?

Jim Thomas