Cant start X

Subject: Cant start X
From: matthew vidic (matt@procopyonline.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 13:23:12 MDT

I have a Mac 9500 w/ Apple Performa Monitor.

I've loaded linux and established root commands, but I havent been able to
get X to work yet.

I went through the config at install and also tried Xconfigurator.

startx yields a long text list that i cant read. then the following:

fatal server error: No 'display' subsection for default depth 8
X connection to : 0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

additionally, when i've change the default boot level in linuxconf and the
reboot, i get the following when the server attempts to start X:

"_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: cant connect errno=111
switch back to to runlvl 3"

im not sure where to go from here.

i appreciate any help I can get!

Matt