Re: Serial Install for RS/6000 ??

Subject: Re: Serial Install for RS/6000 ??
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 20:39:06 MDT

> Is anyone working towards a serial install for the RS platforms? Having to
> pop in a graphics card is a bit of a pain. The solution (for us) is to
> simply blast hard drives with a common image and then manage via Telnet.

Yes.

> Given the "commitment" statements from both IBM and Terra Soft I hope a full
> serial install is not far off. Perhaps you guys could check with the folks
> lurking around AlphaLinux.org - several of them have gotten real close to
> getting a serial install running. A group effort might get over the last
> few hurdles....

This wouldn't be hard if the 2.2 RS/6000 kernels worked well/at all.
Like I said in a previous email.. I'm working with IBM engineers on a
daily basis trying to get a kernel update out. 2.2 seems to have a few
glaring problems on RS/6000. Unfortunatly, a number of kernel developers
that would be able to fix this problem are focusing on the 2.4 kernel
release so they are not interested in helping debug this. Luckily, IBM is
interested in fixing this and we are working towards a solution.

Note: this is soo frustrating for me. We have a B50 and F50 in our office
that we can't very well use if we can't build a working kernel for them.

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations, Parallel, and Embedded Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/