Re: 1.2: Can't install

Subject: Re: 1.2: Can't install
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 20:55:51 MDT

> Had the same problems with an F50. Check this list archive around 5/13. I had
> copy the CD to another server, make symbolic links from RedHat -> YellowDog,
> and
> run FTP install.
> Then the install worked, but the machine wouldn't boot with the 2.2.15 kernels
> on the
> CD. Had to back off to the 2.2.12 kernel from CS 1.1, and now running 2.2.14
> from
> the Suse 6.3 Beta.
> Fun stuff. Your new CD probably won't work either. I think it's something with
> the install
> ramdisk image.

It is not the ramdisk but the kernel. We shipped the 1.1 kernel with 1.2
for RS6000 just to include a kernel period. (since the 1.1 kernel was the
last one we were able to build working on RS/6000).

SuSE magically has a 2.2.14 RS/6000 kernel that work for us on our F50 and
B50. Their kernel source can not be found on their ftp site so they are
probably holding back important patches to the kernel to fix RS6k support.
Even the good folks at IBM are having the problems we are.

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations, Parallel, and Embedded Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/