corrupted /proc/ioports? (serial port woes pt.II)

Subject: corrupted /proc/ioports? (serial port woes pt.II)
From: Matt Wingate (mbw70@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 07:51:10 MDT

Hi again folks,

(Thanks for your previous reply Charles.)

I think I have traced my troubles with getting my
serial printer and internal modem working to the
current /proc/ioports -- it's empty when viewed
with vi or less, but shows a "y" with an " above
when viewed with more. I looked at the same file
on my linux box at work and that one is quite
sensible. How do I go about correcting this?

To remind you: When I send something to the
printer (/dev/ttyS1) the printer prints out
a single line of garbage on a couple pages.
When I run the modem test using Red Hat's ppp config
tool, it fails to initialize the modem.
And finally, perhaps most interestingly, is that
the whole system hangs whenever I attempt to run
a setserial command which attempts to change the
state of the device. (E.g. 'setserial -a /dev/ttyS1'
works, 'setserial /dev/ttyS1 auto_irq skip_test
autoconfig' doesn't).

Thanks again for any help.

Matt