RE: basic info on the directory structure

Subject: RE: basic info on the directory structure
From: Turnquist,Wayne (WayneTurnquist@chi-midwest.org)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 13:13:55 MDT

i found some information at
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/userguide/en/reference/013.html

but have a couple of ? from what i learned

what is /opt, are these share accross all users and if so, isn't the same
has having the files in the /usr/bin

there was no reference to /usr/sbin, what is this directory for

what is /usr/local, the doc didn't make that clear. my assumtion when they
say programs you install your self means that each user would have there own
directory in this directory for own software which would be shared amoung
all users ect /usr/local/wayne
if my assumtion of it not being share amoung all users, then isn't this the
same as putting it in the /home/wayne/myprogs

any clarification would be mighty helpfull
thanks