Re: Hello and hardware questions

Subject: Re: Hello and hardware questions
From: Richard May (rrmay@igc.org)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 19:40:36 MDT

> 1.1. Where can I, for that matter, find alternate versions of XPmac (and
> kernels, if need be) for other hardware? I have a beige G3 that will run
> the MacOS in 32 bpp at 1152x870, but I can't get X to display properly at
> higher than 16 bits. Is there a PMac-specific reference to tweaking
> XConfig video settings?

you can get the latest, I don't know about the oldest, versions at SUSE:

ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/pub/users/howarth/xf4/

and, you've probably tried this, there is a man page on Xpmac. It does
explain how to force Xpmac into different video modes... though I havn't
been able to get it to work well.

Good Luck,
Richard

btw: Xpmac does not use or even read the XF86Config file. Apparently it
gets info directly from the monitor. Read the ReadThisFirst.txt on the SUSE
ftp.