Re: basic info on the directory structure

Subject: Re: basic info on the directory structure
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 07:35:08 MDT

At 5:13 PM -0600 6/16/00, Jim Cole wrote:
>Charles Stevenson's bits of Fri, 16 Jun 2000 translated to:
>
>>> /opt must be a mandrake thing.....I have used Linux Universe, RedHat and
>>> yellowdog and I dont have an /opt... Used to use a SGI (IRIX 5.2)
>>> a while back...I dont recall if it used /opt but I dont think so.
>>
>>/opt is a solaris thing... guess that's where the mandrake developers came
>>from... hehe.
>
>No. /opt is not a "Solaris thing". It is part of the File Hierarchy
>Standard and reserved for add-on application software packages. A copy
>of the standard can be found at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

Well, when it comes to Unix filesystems, this must be one of those
"The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to
choose from". Who uses the "File Hierarchy Standard"? Certainly no
Unix I've ever used. (To give just one example, YDL's
/etc/rc.d/init.d vs. Solaris /etc/init.d vs HP-UX /sbin/init.d).

Put things where you want them. If you're using several different
Unix's, use symlinks to maintain a bit of sanity.

>Jim

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com