SW installation from source problem (probably OFF TOPIC)

Subject: SW installation from source problem (probably OFF TOPIC)
From: Casper VE van de Pavert (cve@dds.nl)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 04:05:35 MDT

Hello,

I ran into an odd problem, can't find the aswer: the C compiler (gcc)
can't make executables. This probably has nothing to do with
yelolowdog itself? Sorry to be off topic then.

Here's a transcript of my first from source installation attempt, any
clues to what I'm doing wrong would be highly appreciated.

[root@office php-4.0.0]# ./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs
--host=powerpc-yellowdog-linux
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking host system type... powerpc-yellowdog-linux-gnu
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for bison version... 1.28 (ok)
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.
[root@office php-4.0.0]#

This failed both on my 8200/120 and 8500/150. YDL CS 1.2
"gcc-2.95.2-1i" is installed along with it's dependency "cpp"
Also "makeinfo" appears to be missing, where can I find that? Typing
"locate makeinfo" results in nothing...