Help! Strange crash of X

Subject: Help! Strange crash of X
From: Riccardo Gusso (grick@mac.com )
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 19:38:10 MDT

The situation: iMac rev. B 96 mb ram mac os 8.6 an YellowDog CS 1.2
kernel 2.2.15-2.9.0 Using XF68_FBDev distributed with the CD;
I use starting mol from the console: I start Linux, log in in tty1, then
startx in tty7, then go to tty2, log in again and start mol in
full-screen video in tty8
There are three possibilities depending on
which depth I choose in the XF86Config file:

depth 24: when I switch back to KDE in tty7 with Ctrl-alt-F7 and i move
the mouse I have strange color effects that make unusable the X session
and
I have to kill it

depth 15: when I switch back to KDE in tty7 with Ctrl-alt-F7 X crashes
immediately and I get this message from gdb /etx/X11/core: "Core was
generated by /etc/X11/X :0 Program terminated with signal 5,
trace/breakpoint trap"

depth 8: everything seems to work fine.
 Since this situation is a very frustrating one, could someone give me
some suggestions? Thanks to everybody.
 Bye.

       Rick

"And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
 What can I possibly say?
 I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you
 I'm glad you stood in my way."
      L. Cohen, "Famous blue raincoat"