Re: Is HFS+ Supported?

Subject: Re: Is HFS+ Supported?
From: Conrad M. Hirano (chirano@mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 03:44:58 MDT

on 6/18/00 11:40 AM, Ash at ashd@3rddoor.com wrote:

> I have MacOS 9 installed on my G3 Blue & White and it using HFS+, can I
> install Yellow Dog Linux on a second hard drive in this machine using BootX
> or Yaboot without out making changes to my current filesystem? The
> installation manual says to use HFS (not HFS+). I really dont want to
> destroy and recreate my Mac partition as HFS. Is there anyway I can keep my
> current system using HFS+ and boot Yellow Dog Linux.
>
> Please Help,
>
> Ash Doyle

Yes, you can. All the files needed to start the boot or installation
process, i.e. yaboot, yaboot.conf, ramdisk.image.gz, and the kernel, can go
on an HFS+ partition; however, the files needed by the installer can not.
Linux currently can not access data on HFS+ partitions; therefore, if you
want to install from a hard disk, because the installer runs under Linux,
you must place the rpms and other files needed by the installer on an HFS
partition. If you're installing over FTP or from a CD, then you won't need
an HFS partition.

As Robert pointed out, many people find it useful to have an HFS partition
anyway. Because both the Mac OS and Linux can mount it, it provides a
simple method to transfer files between the two systems as well as a place
to store files you'd like to access from both the Mac OS and from Linux,
like MP3s.

With a B&W G3, you can probably get away with using BootX, but I found it
wasn't completely reliable on my B&W G3 on campus. The system would
occasionally hang when Linux tried to start. Yaboot takes a little more
work to set up, but it's probably a better choice.