RE: RS/6000

Subject: RE: RS/6000
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 10:15:59 MDT

Stefan,

> Just two questions, will that method work for installing YDL 1.2 on a brand
> new unformatted HD and will it work for Serial Console only?, I tried

I'm not certain about serial console.. we haven't tried it. But, you can
try passing: console=ttyS0 when you boot the zImage and see if it works.

> without luck to install last friday with a borrowed Matrox Card and although
> the kernel booted, the initrd image started I couldn't install no matter
> what I tried because of the symlink bug in the RS/6000 image (Why on earth
> isn't this fixed so it looks for YellowDog instead of RedHat???). I tried
> everything, setting up an FTP with the whole thing, exporting that via NFS,
> putting a web server, etc. and still no install...

The files I just posted resolve this problem. The 1.1 zImage.initrd is on
the CD. *Do not use that* Use the zImage I spoke of in my last email.

If you use the new zImage and the CS 1.2 ramdisk there there are no
symlink issues. It all works fine via CDROM install, etc.

> Oh well will try this and if it works I'd seriously recommend Terrasoft to
> update the RS/6000 install instructions with these :)

Will be done today.

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations, Parallel, and Embedded Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/