Re: Linux on H70 ?

Subject: Re: Linux on H70 ?
tom_gall@vnet.ibm.com
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 07:32:31 MDT

Olaf Hering wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, root wrote:
>
> > Now I got a H70 and I would also try to install Linux there but I don't
> > found any infos about
> > Linux and H70.
> > Has anyone experiences ? Maybe also with SuSE for PPC or other
> > distributions?

Hi *,

The H70 is a Power3 machine. I don't have access to one of these boxes, but if
you feel like being a test subject and don't mind the occasional needle (just
kidding) I'd be happy to ship you a kernel and talk you through it.

The various installers are broken at the moment so getting the system installed
is rather an adventure, but quite do-able.

> If a machine runs or not depends on the kernel and not on the
> distribution. We don't have such a thing, I guess it is not supported.
> If it has a 604e and is CHRP based it will work. But that is not
> the case with the H70.

Check oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux/projects/ppc. We have
links to the various machines so you can see what's what.

> There was a posting on l-k about a successful POWER4 booting, maybe this
> will help for the RS64 II processor. At first, you need a compiler :)

Not to mention the post on l-k about a successful POWER3 boot too ;-)

Actually he doesn't need a compiler. The current set of 2.95.2 gcc etc will work
just fine. Cort is the one to thank there for that!

--
Tom Gall - PowerPC Linux Team    "Where's the ka-boom? There was
Linux Technology Center           supposed to be an earth