new devel kernel on imac?

Subject: new devel kernel on imac?
From: Robert M (mayro@earlham.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 20:58:57 MDT

so yet another kernel problem. I have the new stable 2.2.17pre3 working just
fine on my iMac rev.a but I would really like to get the 2.4 devel kernel
because it has drivers for the Handsping Visor and I really don't like to boot
MacOS to sync it.
Anyways...the kernel compiles just fine no problems there. the problem comes
when I try to boot with it. All goes well until it tries to mount the foot
filesystem in read write mode. it says that its not an ext2 filesystem and
tells me that I should run e2fsck if really is. e2fsck gives me the same
message.
what can I do?
robert