Re: new devel kernel on imac?

Subject: Re: new devel kernel on imac?
From: Martin Costabel (costabel@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 00:08:15 MDT

Ramprasad Rao wrote:

> I have the same problem with 2.4.0-test1-ac21. On an iMac as well. A few days
> ago I had 2.4.0-test1-ac18 working however.
>
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Robert M wrote:
[]
> > Anyways...the kernel compiles just fine no problems there. the problem comes
> > when I try to boot with it. All goes well until it tries to mount the foot
> > filesystem in read write mode. it says that its not an ext2 filesystem and
> > tells me that I should run e2fsck if really is. e2fsck gives me the same
> > message.

Could this be devfs related? Do you have CONFIG_DEVFS_FS options in
.config?
If yes, it might help to put "devfs=nomount" into the kernel arguments.

> > what can I do?

Give us the precise error message. It could contain some more hints.

As you can see from my mail headers, I am running -ac21, so it works on
some machines. It does have serious problems with mounting, though. For
example, I cannot mount hfs CDs, and when I mount a iso9660 CD and
umount it again, ls sometimes still shows me the contents of the top
directory of the CD.
Sometimes I get ls output like the following (the first line contains
control characters):

root[112]#ll /mnt/cdrom
ls: /mnt/cdrom/ä ?(r v?ä? n: No such file or directory
ls: /mnt/cdrom/epÎ`: No such file or directory
ls: /mnt/cdrom/ÿü°«: No such file or directory
total 0

So it is totally possible that the answer to your question is: You
cannot do anything. Wait for less buggy kernels to appear.

BTW, the 2.4.0-test1-ac21 kernels from Paul's pmac tree and from the
bitkeeper tree both have severe bugs, but not quite the same. With
Paul's kernel, I cannot run mozilla-M16, for example, because it doesn't
find some shared library, due to problems with the transmission of
environment variables, whereas the same thing works correctly with the
bk kernel.

--
Martin