Non-Destructive Partitioning?

Subject: Non-Destructive Partitioning?
From: Waldo L. Jaquith (waldo@waldo.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 20:27:06 MDT

Folks,

I've got my Rev. A iMac (4GB drive) humming along just fine with CS1.2. But
when I partitioned my drive for YDL about a year ago, I only gave it 1GB, as
I didn't know if I'd want to keep it. Here I am, running a server and never
using the Mac side, save for occasionally, thanks to MOL.

So, I've erased most everything from my HFS side of things, and that's only
using up 1.5GB now. So I'd like to take another 1GB and shuffle it over to
the YDL side of things.

I've optimized my drive and moved everything to the beginning. But now
what? I'm hoping that I can just lop off the last 1GB, make it a new
partition and assign that to /usr or something. Drive Setup doesn't want to
hear anything about it, though, and I don't know if it's a good idea to go
chopping up an HFS drive with Linux tools.

I don't mind having to wipe the whole HFS partition and reinstall MacOS.
But I certainly can't wipe my YDL partition. Anybody know how I should do
this?

Thanks, folks.

Best,
Waldo