boot issue on G3 BW

Subject: boot issue on G3 BW
From: john w (yellowdog@shortclip.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 19:27:32 MDT

Just got a G3 BLue + White. It came with an ultra scsi drive, I
added an ATA drive to the empty zip drive slot. I'm trying to get
the ATA drive to boot, it will not, shows the lost System Folder icon
on boot, then defaults to the System Folder on the scsi.

Drive set-up shows the ATA to have the cd at ID 0, and the ATA drive at ID 1.
The ATA is set to "slave"

The machine will boot from a CD.

I have updated the drivers on the ATA ( MAXTOR 6gig)

Have tried installing OS 8.6 from the disc that came with the
machine, and OS 9, same results.

I have not updated the ROM on the G3 BW.

128RAM, 450 G3 BW

I want to set up linux on the ATA, and would rather not mess with
anything on the scsi drive