Re: PowerBook install help?

Subject: Re: PowerBook install help?
From: Darren Graham (dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 03:03:40 MDT

Joshua,

1st of all you don't need a boot strap partition at all. But you do need at
least three partitions though HFS(standard or extended), Linux root and a
Linux swap. Try BootX it's on the YDL CD. I use that on my PB3400c without
any problems. Have you actually installed YDL yet? if so when you installed
YDL, it would have told you what the partition numbers were in the hard
disk configuration stage, and at the end of the installation it would have
stated the root partition number.

Also get hold of kernel 2.2.15pre19 that's the latest stable release.
ftp://linuxcare.com.au/pub/ppclinux/kernels/2.2.15pre19

Daz

At 20:35 29/06/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am new to the list an to linux. I just got a new g3
>powerbook and I am having trouble installing yellowdog
>onto it. I contacted support and they pointed me to
>this tutorial to help me.
>www.modctek.com/linux_report.htm
>I have followed the directions to the letter and when
>I try to boot yaboot from the firm ware it does not
>recognize the partition,or any for that matter. I have
>check the partition formatts and they are all correct
>and I have done them in the correct order, assuming
>the directions are correct. Does anyone have any
>experience installing onto the model powerbook that
>would be willing to help me?
>Joshua

>Get Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
>http://mail.yahoo.com/

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.
"We seek not the answers but to better understand
the question"
- Kane, Kung Fu
Darren Graham
Scientist Tel +44 (0) 1252 392819
Space Department Fax +44 (0) 1252 396310
DERA Farnborough
Hampshire email:
United Kingdom dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk
GU14 0LX