Re: HELP! can't login after ydl 2.0 install

Subject: Re: HELP! can't login after ydl 2.0 install
From: Scott Frankel (leknarf@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 07:32:35 MDT

Nope, not capslock.

The login prompt never offered me a chance to enter a password;
it failed after entering just the userID! Even if it *were* a case
issue, the prompt would've allowed me to enter a password before
denying access.

I still don't know what the source of the problem is/was. But I've
reinstalled again, this time using the "default" protocol. The system
seems to work fine now. Hmmm...

The differences between this third (default) install and my first two
(custom) installs are:

- entered more data when creating user account (phone number, &tc.)
- created an additional, dummy, user account -- that's in addition
   to the root and initial user accounts.
- chose the graphical login (runlevel:5) setup

Thanks
Scott

p.s. I'm guessing that the default install method sets up the shadow
password business, right? How can I double-check if that's active?