Re: HELP! can't login after ydl 2.0 install

Subject: Re: HELP! can't login after ydl 2.0 install
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 09:44:41 MDT

>p.s. I'm guessing that the default install method sets up the shadow
>password business, right? How can I double-check if that's active?

more /etc/passwd should give you output like...

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:
adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:
lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:
sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync
shutdown:x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown

and so on.

The x just after the first colon is where the password would be if
shadowing was not active, the fact it's an x means the password is
elsewhere, namely the shadowfile.

As root if you more /etc/shadow you should see a listing for each
account, with a crypted password too (and a bunch of other details).

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall
pete@surfaceeffect.com - http://www.surfaceeffect.com/