Re: Size of root partitoin

Subject: Re: Size of root partitoin
From: Mike Melanson (melanson@pcisys.net)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 15:45:51 MDT

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:

> If I have a seperate /usr and /home partitoin is 500 MB enough space for the
> root partition with a full install? It has been working fine this way
> untill today and all of the sudden the root partition was completely full.
> Haven't installed anything new. Any help appreciated.

        Ah, happens all the time to me...:) Look in your /var directory
and you'll probably see a whole bunch of gigantic log files that were
never probably rotated and cleaned. /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog
are good culprits. Given the trouble you had with a full /home partition a
few days ago, the log files probably got filled up by background programs
panicking that they couldn't write to files on that partition. As someone
else recommended here:
  du -k /var | sort -rn | head -20
will show you the 20 largest files under the /var directory.

--
	-Mike Melanson