Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 21:49:21 MDT

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, andu wrote:

> Dan Burcaw wrote:
> >
> > > I'm confused. Are you telling me that I just spent $40 on YDL 2.0 and
> > > I have to wipe my drive to install it? I'm running a server here; I
> > > can't just erase my hard drive. I will be very, very disappointed in
> > > Terra Soft if there is no 1.2.1 -> 2.0 upgrade path. Please explain.
> >
> > Yes, there is no upgrade path. Right now. This doesn't mean that there
> > won't be one, it is just something we haven't tried nor documented yet.
> > Due to the complexity of changes from 1.2.1 -> 2.0, a simple "yup update"
> > (with yup pointing to the CD-ROM rather then an internet mirror) might
> > not be enough. Some things might need to be manually updated. An example
> > that comes to mind is the obsoleting of 'inetd' in favor of 'xinetd'.
> >
> > 1.2.x -> 2.x is from a technical standpoint is upgradeable, but
> > limitations in yup, and the degree to which things have changed may make
> > it challenging for us to automate.
> >
> > I understand your frustration, but I also understand that we couldn't test
> > everything for the 2.0 release. This has been a pretty difficult process
> > for us, and we haven't had anything to sell for many months, so obviously
> > there is a time concern there too. We don't want to go the ways of
> > the Dot Coms as that would mean you won't ever have an upgrade path in the
> > future.
>
> Are you saying the dotcoms went out of business because they were aiming
> at providing fully tested products and update path from one version to
> another, in other words trying to provide sane service for their
> customers?
> I guess you are...

I think that is a little unfair. I think that the thought here was to
actually have _something_ to sell in order to support their efforts. The
problem that the Dot Coms had was that they were entirely conceptual and
never actually produced _anything_ and thus ran out of money in fairly
short order...