Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Waldo Jaquith (waldo@waldo.net)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 23:04:47 MDT

On 03 Jun 2001, Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terraplex.com> wrote:
> On 03 Jun 2001, Waldo Jaquith <waldo@waldo.net> wrote:
>> I'm confused. Are you telling me that I just spent $40 on YDL 2.0 and
>> I have to wipe my drive to install it? I'm running a server here; I
>> can't just erase my hard drive. I will be very, very disappointed in
>> Terra Soft if there is no 1.2.1 -> 2.0 upgrade path. Please explain.
>
> Yes, there is no upgrade path. Right now. This doesn't mean that there
> won't be one, it is just something we haven't tried nor documented yet.
> Due to the complexity of changes from 1.2.1 -> 2.0, a simple "yup update"
> (with yup pointing to the CD-ROM rather then an internet mirror) might
> not be enough. Some things might need to be manually updated. An example
> that comes to mind is the obsoleting of 'inetd' in favor of 'xinetd'.
>
> 1.2.x -> 2.x is from a technical standpoint is upgradeable, but
> limitations in yup, and the degree to which things have changed may make
> it challenging for us to automate.
>
> I understand your frustration, but I also understand that we couldn't test
> everything for the 2.0 release. This has been a pretty difficult process
> for us, and we haven't had anything to sell for many months, so obviously
> there is a time concern there too. We don't want to go the ways of
> the Dot Coms as that would mean you won't ever have an upgrade path in the
> future.
>
> Having said that, as I mentioned previous, one of the things we're going
> to be doing in the comes days and weeks is post lots of guides on
> doings things with YDL 2.0. Along with this, we're going to try to come
> up with a very simple upgrade path for 1.2.1 -> 2.0.
>
> Let me know if this helps clarify..

Yes, it clarifies things quite a bit. And now I'm upset -- you should have
plainly disclosed on the website that upgrading is currently not possible.
Now I have 3 worthless discs. I'll have to go out and buy v2.0.1 in a few
weeks, when you release an upgradeable version, which will run me yet
another $40.

I understand that v2 has been a difficult process, and you wanted to get it
out the door as soon as you felt that it was ready. But when a simple thing
like upgrading is not possible, I believe that you're obliged to notify
people at the time of their purchase.

I bought v1.0 from you as soon as it was released, and I thought I was being
a good YDL user by also paying for v2.0, as opposed to waiting a few weeks
and downloading it. Turned out I was just being duped. Silly me.

Sincerely,
Waldo