Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Josh Smith (irilyth@infersys.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 08:21:54 MDT

As others have said, I haven't tried to do an "upgrade" install across a
major OS release in a long time, and the few times I have, it didn't go
well. I'd definitely recommend installing from scratch, whether onto a
separate partition, a separate system, or by backing up and restoring.
Yes, this can be a pain if you only have one computer. I'd do it anyway.

On a side note, I think it's still worthwhile to feel virtuous (and not
duped) about having bought the 2.0 CDs. Now that you've paid your dues,
you should feel quite justified in downloading subsequent incremental
releases, if the 1.2 -> 2.x upgrade path can't be done with the CDs you
have now. I'm sure the folks at Yellow Dog wouldn't mind if you spent $40
on each of 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3a, 2.0.3b, and so on, but I imagine
that they don't realistically expect you to shell out another check each
time a new minor revision comes along.

                                      -Josh (irilyth@infersys.com)