RE: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: RE: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Ruprecht, Chris (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 12:02:07 MDT

Waldo,

upgrading is no simple issue. 1000s of files need to be checks and some
times stuff is not compatible between versions and there is no way to
convert old data to new data. Take for example PostGreSQL: Version 6.5
(which was current at more or less the time YDL 1.2.1 was released) is
not compatible with the current version 7.1.1. Sure - you can upgrade
from 6.5 to 7.1.1 - but all your 6.5 databases are worthless under
7.1.1. This is no fault of companies like Terra Soft or RedHat - it's
just the cost of wanting to be at the bleeding edge of technology.

Also, if you're not in need of the bleeding edge stuff, don't upgrade
(or re-install). The $40 are not going to kill you and I'm sure, if you
ask Dan nicely, his arm can be twisted to send you a version which does
upgrade at some later stage, free of charge, specially since you have
bought the 2.0 release.

From what I see here on the list, upgrading might be a little difficult,
so the upgrade procedure for me will be: Backup, wipe partition, install
fresh - once I receive the 2.0 release which I ordered directly from
Terra Soft who said that I would get a FedEx tracking number upon
shipping which I have not yet received - so I assume it has not shipped
yet...

Best regards,
Chris