Field report on 2.0

Subject: Field report on 2.0
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 12:55:04 MDT

OK, upgraded my 7500 mailserver over the weekend, and had these observations:
1. Do not attempt to save existing partitions. The install script
fails in interesting ways when you try. Just back up your key config
files, /home, whatever and reformat everything. For the record, no OS
I've ever used has been perfect in this regard. It would be nice to
be able to leave /home intact at least; maybe I just didn't try hard
enough.
2. If you're using BootX, wipe all your bootX stuff from your MacOS
partition before installing the new BootX. Otherwise you'll get
cornfused, like I did :-) This includes all the vmlinuxes and ramdisk
images and the prefs. You might want to take some notes...
3. The partitioning script resolutely refused to make the 10MB
partition I created for future bootloaders into a boot partition - it
kept making it swap. No biggie, I'll fix it by hand later. PS anybody
know how to do this? ::grin::
4. A word or two should be said about xinetd - the replacement for
inetd. If you're trying to figure out where to configure your network
services, and looking about for inetd.conf... well, quit looking.
xinetd.conf is the new config file but it doesn't actually do much -
just calls individual conf files which live in /etc/xinetd.d. The
syntax of these is, shall we say, a bit different from that of
inetd.conf, and I still haven't figured out, for example, how to get
it to use qpopper instead of ipop3. Well, I'll tinker with that some
more later. BTW the man page on xinet is typically terse.
5. XFree86 version 4 had a much better time with my ati card than v.3
did - no more "No Video Driver" needed. Yay!
Altogether it feels faster, and certainly looks great (and of course
I always want my mailserver to look good!)

On to the iMac next weekend - anyone tackled one of these yet?