Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Balatro 28 (balatro28@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 13:46:27 MDT

I think I'm here as a salaried sysadmin to keep these things from happening.  Four or so years ago, I rolled out the very first network for my last company (they finally decided to step up to the 1980s a decade too late).

My first year of adminning NT I think I managed to break and then fix everything under the sun.  Thankfully I weathered it, managed to keep a good reputation, and come out of it with a whole lot of knowledge in my head on how MS stuff breaks and, more importantly, how to fix it :)

My problem is that half of this stuff shouldn't break in the first place.  Even more importantly, it's a pain in the rump to find solid documentation on what it does behind the scenes.  An example being the time the Exchange documentation said you only need a dial up or 64K circuit to set up to run two sites as part of one organization across a network.  I called MS on the phone and they kindly told me the documentation is wrong and you want a T1 (A T1 for chrissakes, nice difference in opinion) to make it work properly.

I agree with the statement of an old buddy of mine in the industry.  The people who do NT (And of course 2K, 9x, ME, blah) best are the ones that hate it :)

Okay, I think I've vented enough....back to YDL 2.0 :)