RE: Re: Save me from Micro$oft!!

Subject: RE: Re: Save me from Micro$oft!!
From: Charles Lepple (charles@ghz.cc)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 14:14:11 MDT

--On Monday, June 04, 2001 2:10 PM -0400 "Ruprecht, Chris"
<cruprech@compucom.com> wrote:

> mgetty just gives you a dial-in terminal session. I believe the original
> request was to have a dial-up PPP service like the type you have at your
> ISP.

Here's a micro-howto on setting up PPP dialup service:

Add this to /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config (or uncomment it; I think this
is the example):

/AutoPPP/ - a_ppp /usr/sbin/pppd

Those should be tabs between the fields.

To get you going, this is what I use in /etc/ppp/options:

lock auth -chap +pap login modem debug proxyarp nocrtscts
ms-dns 192.168.1.2
ms-wins 192.168.1.1

And in /etc/ppp/options.ttyS?, you can put the options specific to that
modem (i.e. assign your IP addresses to each line, which is typically less
confusing than handing them out dynamically)

Then, you need one entry in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets for each user:

username * '' *

which will cause pppd to look up the password in /etc/passwd (or whatever
you have PAM pointing to)

I added mgetty to the inittab:

S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1

and reloaded it with 'init q'.

Once this is done, mgetty will spew debug output into
/var/log/mgetty.ttyS?. PPP-specific messages go to syslog (and with a stock
syslog.conf should end up in /var/log/messages).

Once a user logs in, you get an a_ppp entry in utmp/wtmp that tells you
what speed they connected at (and CID info, if available) and while they
are logged in, they appear in w/who/finger output.

This doesn't do PPP justice, but it should be enough to point a finger at
and say, "this works... I need another day to get it production-ready"

--
Charles Lepple <charles@ghz.cc>
http://ghz.cc/charles/