Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Helena van den Akker (helena@mget.nl)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 14:25:20 MDT

* christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca (christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca) [010604 21:51]:
> I wouldn't if I were you. Frankly, anyone who complains that they can't
> simply run an update program for a major upgrade on a *live* server
> shouldn't be running the live server in the first place. I don't install
> any software on my production servers unless I've had a chance to at least
> run it on a test machine.

Of course. But that does not mean that an upgrade is not necessary. Dan
said himself that it should work, and (if I understood correctly) that
it probably will work in the future.
I only run YDL on a workstation at the moment, but also here it would
save me a lot of time if I could just upgrade, or at least save my data.
Maybe I am too spoiled by the intel linuxes, I know that only a year ago
getting my iBook to boot was extremely difficult, so this is already a
major step forward (in fact, that is why I bought YDL, to support the
development).

> When I do upgrade to YDL 2.0 (just arrived this morning), it will be a
> fresh install, but only after I have played with it for at least a week or
> two.
>
> IMHO, I think Terra Soft has done a excellent job in this really tiny
> market and should be commended for such a fantastic distro. Thanks for all
> the hard work!

Well, call me cynical, but how do you know that it is fantastic if you
haven't even installed it yet?

Best regards,
Helena (who will hopefully receive YDL tomorrow, and who will hopefully
be just as enthousiastic as you are)