Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 13:38:07 MDT

Waldo Jaquith wrote:

> Several people suggested a backup, a partition-wiping, and a re-install.
> I've got this installed on an iMac. Backing up, for me, consists of making
> a multi-gig tarball, FTPing it laboriously to a server that has ample space
> and bandwidth, wiping, installing, and then repeating the above process,
> backwards.
[...]
> Not practical for me.

I have the same problem - so I intend on borrowing space for myself on a
friend's Intel laptop transferring via a null-ethernet cable. Of course
it is practical.

> If I were running a Serious Server(tm), yes, simply upgrading would be a bad
> way of doing things. But this machine is a community mailing server and a
> host of website for local non-profits and for friends.

I also run a server for similar reasons, and I would still consider an
upgrade install a bad idea. Just because the server is less critical
makes no difference to the fact that upgrading will cause you problems.
A new install is the right thing to do.

> I am not criticizing YDL for failing to release an upgradeable version.
> It's a .0 release, such things happen. I'm criticizing them for failing to
> notify customers (as of the time of this message) that the new release may
> not be usable to them.

"Not useable" is a purely subjective term. Faced with certain
requirements (eg the need to reinstall from scratch) I make a plan to
solve those obstacles stopping me from doing so, then I do it.

The decision to follow an upgrade path rather than reinstalling is 100%
your choice, which happens not to coincide with YDL's recommended course
of action. There is no way they can be held accountable for something if
you are not willing to follow their advice.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street