Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 15:19:14 MDT

Waldo Jaquith's bits of Mon, 4 Jun 2001 translated to:

>I am not criticizing YDL for failing to release an upgradeable version.
>It's a .0 release, such things happen. I'm criticizing them for failing to
>notify customers (as of the time of this message) that the new release may
>not be usable to them. This is a simple and logical disclosure, one that I
>think they're obliged to make to their return customers.

A simple and logical disclosure for one who unfortunately spent money on
something that is not immediately useful. The same is not necessarily true
for a group of stressed out developers trying to ship a long awaited
product. Yes, the web site should have addressed upgradability. Dan has
already admitted that fact and stated that the information would be added
ASAP. However the lack of such information does not imply a Terra Soft
plot to make an extra buck. As far as I know, with the possible exception
of 1.2.1, upgrades have never been endorsed. Not in documentation, not on
installation screens, and not on the mailing list. For those close to the
product, it would be easy for such an issue to slip through the cracks.

Jim