Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 17:06:02 MDT

Here's one way to update.

Using a zip disk
 or extra ext2 partition on your hard drive or
 your hfs exchange partition to:

1. backup your /home directory using tar
2. backup your /etc directory using tar
3. backup your /root directory using tar

Check your backups to be sure they work and that you can restore from them.
Then
4. print /etc/passwd
5. print /etc/groups

4. Install YDL 2.0 from scratch, making sure to preserve the partition you
saved your tar files on. This would be a good point to split a single
partition into separate partitions for /, /root, /home and /etc so you won't
ever have to bother with steps 1 2 and 3 again.

5. Restore the backup of /home from the tar file
6. I don't restore /etc, but instead create users with the same exact group
numbers you had in your previous installation. For me that's exactly 1 user.
7. Restore /etc to a separate directory /oldetc. Don't restore it to /etc or
you will trash some thing. You can use the files in /oldetc it as a model in
case anything doesn't work the way you want it to or if you have extensively
customized various configuration files.
8. Restore /root to a separate directory /oldroot. Don't restore it to /root.
Same as for /etc. Use /oldroot to get anything back that was in /root but
was not installed with YDL2.
9. You may have installed or updated some things in /usr. Reinstall them or
update them as needed.

The usual disclaimer applies. Your mileage may vary. Try this on a your box
at your own risk.

Anyone who has anything to add to or change in the above is welcome to edit
it and re-submit it to the list, adding their name as an author if you wish.

-Pat Callahan

P.S. Nice work YDL and give that pup a dog biscuit for me.