Using Airport issues

Subject: Using Airport issues
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 12:12:21 MDT

Ok, I got the airport module made, and following directions on the YDL
support site for the 2.2 kernel (I have the 2.4 kernel but the
airport24.shtml file has nothing there):

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/airport22.shtml

I finally got it to work but I tried to get it to automatically come up at
reboot and I still cannot seem to do it.

Here are a few strange things

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts I made a duplicate of ifcfg-eth0 and made
it ifcfg-airport with DEVICE=airport. Well this didn't work. But after
calling

cat /proc/net/wireless

I found out that the airport wireless interface is really implimented as
eth1

Ok, so I make a ifcfg-eth1 (with DEVICE=eth1) file and do a nework restart.
Yay! it works.

Ok, now to tell the airport about my base station:

I call

modprobe airport network_name "myname"

And I call

iwconfig eth1 enc XXXXXXXXX (where XX.. denoes my encryption number)

I change the default GATEWAY to eth1 and hooray, I can surf wirelessly!

Here is my problem. I don't understand things enough to be able to make the
airport network come up at boot time. Can somebody tell me how to do the
modprobe calls before /etc/rc.d/init.d/network is called? Or maybe I'm doing
something wrong in general?

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com