Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????

Subject: Re: Will we be able to update to YDL 2 ????
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup999@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 12:15:03 MDT

Pete,

Two things: Once you have the ATI Rage Orion up & running, I'd be very
interested in your config file ;-). I have tried and tried under 3.3.6 (YDL
1.6.1) and it never worked, then upgraded to 4.0.x and then absolutely
nothing worked any more (X never started). I have the YDL 2.0 distro (since
yesterday) but due to a faulty CD have not been able to install it. TS is
shipping me some replacement media (nice people to deal with) and I hope to
have it by the weekend. I have a Rage Orion in my PM9600 (with a NewerTech
G4/400) and I want to see if the G4 with AltiVec is supported in YDL 2.0
with the 2.4.4 kernel. It was not supported in YDL 1.2.1.

The other thing is SlackWare ... I used to use it many many moons ago
(around 1994) when it was version 2 and 3 and such. It was great then and
there was nothing better. Today, I guess, the de-facto standard for Intel
Linux is RH and a lot of packages are geared for it. I don't understand why
RH saw it necessary to change the directory structure of most packages but
over all, is seems to work. I'm no great fan of rpm and usually install what
I need from tar-ed source (./configure...; make ; make install - sounds
familiar?). Some packages (like apache) offer a RH-directory mode which
makes things a little easier when you want to build stuff yourself.
Also, some commercial packages are only available for the RH distro (out of
the box). Of course, you can always tweak your installation to look like RH
to what ever you install which wants RH. After all, the kernel is from the
same source and so are the installed packages.

Best regards,
Chris

[ Original msg: recycled]