Re: 2.0 trip report : Powerbook G3

Subject: Re: 2.0 trip report : Powerbook G3
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 13:00:55 MDT

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Black wrote:

> So...
>
> I have a '98 G3 Powerbook (266 Mhz). I just got my 2.0 install
> disk and tried to do an install. I removed all of my old BootX files and
> installed the new version. That went fine. I then went to run the
> installer.
> After the startup screen all went by as expected, but then when I
> dropped into the new graphical installer, I had large vertical bars all
> across my screen.

Okay, I found the place on the web site that says that the powerbook has
to be installed with the text based installer.

Note to Terra Soft Folks:
        Perhaps this info should go into the engineer's notes...

> So, I went into the text version of the installer. This seemed to
> work, so I proceded with the installation. Everything went smoothly until
> I got to the package installation phase. I was doing a custom install (I
> had previous partitions), and I chose the developer's package. This went
> fine until I hit the XFree86-devel package. It got about half way through
> and then just stopped. I couldn't tell whether or not anything was
> actually wrong, so I just waited. however, after 20 minutes had passed
> without change, I decided that the installation had indeed stalled. I
> tried doing an opt-F4, but nothing happened. I ended up just pulling the
> plug.

Still having problems with this. Did anyone else try a Developer's
install? Did it work?

> I am a little stubborn, so I went back to the text version of the
> installer and tried again. This time I decided to skip the Developer's
> packages and do the Home installation. This time the installation went
> through. I set up everything and then logged in into my user account. Of
> course, the first thing I did was type startx. KDE started up, though not
> without it's problems. I didn't have all of the vertical bars, but the
> window was all screwed up. The whole screen was shifted up about two
> inches and wrapped around to the bottom of the screen (i.e. the top two
> inches of the screen were on the bottom). I rotated through my screen
> resolutions, but they all had the same problem.

Still can't figure this out either. I haven't had a chance to set myself
up to use any of the other windowmanagers, so I don't know if it is XFree
or KDE yet, but I've never seen anything like it and I can't figure out
how to make it stop...

-Christopher