Re: Powerbook G3 Install Problems (renamed)

Subject: Re: Powerbook G3 Install Problems (renamed)
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 20:59:25 MDT

So, my problems trying to install continue. I went and made just one big
partition of ~4 GB for root and I am having the same problems. Every time
I try to install the development package it freezes in the same place
(about 2/3 of the way through installing the XFree-devel package). I did
both a custom and a default install and I had the exact same thing happen
in the same place. I started switching back and forth between the debug
screen and the main screen while the package install was going through
(since I can't look at it once it has frozen...). I discovered that when
the kernel was being installed, The debug screen suddenly gets around 6 or
7 lines that all say:
<4> Neighbour table overflow

I don't know what this means and I don't know how related it is since the
kernel appears to get installed at around the half way mark. However, both
of these things are exceedingly repeatable (i.e. i've been through the
process at least ten times now with minor variations, and everytime, it
fails in the same ways in the same places).

Some more problems:
        * Twice or three times now, I have had a problem earlier in the
process. I try to save my partitions, it goes to format the partitions,
and then it segfaults and freezes.
        * Also, I noticed the same behavior with the bootstrap partition
as someone else reported. I format it as a bootstrap partition and it
shows up as an hfs partition, but then next time I go back to look at the
partitions (which I have clearerly done a great deal now...) it has
changed to an untitled partition). I haven't been to worried by it since I
don't use yaboot and I don't need a bootstrap partition, I just have been
leaving it there since I read that it was recommended. I did try the
install omitting this partition finally, but it didn't make any
difference.
        * Finally, a new error started cropping up. The last three times
that I tried the install, I got all sorts of error messages when the
installer tried to install libtools. Instead of being on the debug screen,
it just spewed out all over the actual install screen.
First line of error:
/usr/bin/libtoolize : ls: command not found
It then goes on to tell me that it can't find rm or mv either...

Then, a number of files can't be found, like ./ltconfig, ./ltmain.sh and a
couple of config files.

I am really puzzled here. I hate to ask, but is it possible that I too
have gotten a bum CD? Or is there something I'm just missing here?

-christopher